The BUILDSouth Awards celebrate members who have made achievements in safety, workforce expansion, and community development. The award categories focus on longtime members demonstrating a commitment to the industry, upcoming leaders, and women in the force. Honorees included Gary Savage of B.L. Harbert International of Birmingham and Paul Wilson of Russo Corporation, who received inductions into the Alabama AGC Construction Hall of Fame for their contributions to construction.
At the ceremony, the chapter awarded scholarships to the following six undergraduate students who have chosen to pursue a career in construction or a related field:
- Jacob Lovvorn - Jefferson State
- Larry Rivers, Jr. - Jefferson State
- Charles Mayhall - Auburn University
- Angel Morrow - Alabama A&M
- Robert Rivera - Auburn University
- William Hagan - Auburn University
“It is an honor to lead such an exceptional organization as Alabama AGC. Thanks to the foundation laid by Evans Dunn and the leaders that came before him, Alabama AGC will continue to provide the industry with the best representation available," said Rob Middleton, Alabama AGC President. "The financial strength of the organization coupled with the unrivaled support of the construction industry allows Alabama AGC to represent its membership as we enter our next century of existence.”
At the event, it was announced the following individuals will serve as officers for the 2023 Alabama AGC Board of Directors:
- Chairman of the Board: Evans Dunn, Dunn Construction Co., Inc.
- President: Rob Middleton, Middleton Construction, LLC
- Vice President: Mac Caddell, Caddell Construction Co. (DE), LLC
- 2nd Vice President: Greer Walker, Wiregrass Construction Co., Inc.
- Treasurer: Mike Scarborough, Rabren General Contractors, Inc.
- Safety Awards: Moon Construction Services, Inc., Rives Construction Company, Inc., and Persons Services Corp.
- TW Pugh Excellence in Safety: Frank Wampol of BL Harbert International LLC
- Legacy Awards for 50 Years of Service to Alabama AGC: Ben M. Radcliff Contractor, Inc., Johnson Contractors, Inc., and Whitesell-Green, Inc.
- AGC Women in Construction: Allison Roberts of Doster Construction Co., Inc. and Courtney Hearin of Persons Services Corp.
- Associate Member of the Year: Skip Powe of Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
- Public Owner of the Year: Trent Davis - Accepting of the University of South Alabama
- Industry Collaboration & Leadership: Jenifer Eubanks of the Alabama Department of Transportation
- Unsung Heroes: Ken Grant of Caddell Construction Co., LLC and Tammy Kaemmerer of Hurst Construction, LLC
- Workforce Development: Byron McCain of the Construction Education Foundation of Alabama, Inc.
- Community Involvement: Shoals Section Members for the STAR Play at McFarland Park - Florence
- Specialty Contractor: Dunn Construction Company, Inc. for The World Games Speed Skating Track
- Renovations - Under $5 Million - Highway Construction: Wiregrass Construction Co., Inc. for the Safety and Intersection Improvements on State Park Road
- Renovations - Under $5 Million - Design Build: Hancock Construction for The Cahaba Building
- Renovations - Building Construction: Stone Building Company for the University of Alabama at Birmingham Basketball Practice Facility
- Renovations - Highway Construction: Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC for the City Walk BHAM
- Renovations - Construction Management: Rives Construction Company, Inc. for One Highland Place
- New - Highway Construction: McElhenney Construction Co., LLC for the Baldwin County Boat Ramp at the ICW
- New - Design Build: BL Harbert International LLC for the New U.S. Embassy
- New - Under $5 Million - Building Construction: Stone Building Company for the Parker Cornea Outpatient Clinic
- New - Building Construction: Caddell Construction Co., LLC for the New National Nuclear Security Administration Complex